DIY Nordic House Cheese Board
With the festive season fast approaching, there'll be plenty of entertaining friends and family on the cards.
An easy crowd pleaser is the cheese board! At your next party, why not display your cheese on a stylish Nordic house chalkboard cheese board – it's a fresh take on the traditional Christmas shapes and the chalkboard base allows you to write the names of each cheese so your guests won’t be left wondering.
Here's how to create this cheese board in just a few simple steps.
Items you will need:
- Plain rectangle cutting board (this one is from IKEA)
- Haymes Chalkboard paint
- Paint brush
- Masking tape
1. Measure 15cm from the top of the board on the left and right side and draw a line from the centre top of the board to those points, creating the roofline of your house cheese board.
2. Use a saw to cut along your roofline.
3. Create a border around the board using masking tape. This will give the board a neat timber edge.
4. Paint the face of the board in chalkboard paint. Once dry, apply a second coat.
5. Once fully dry, remove the tape and wash the board well.
Your Nordic house cheese board is now ready to use – place your favourite cheeses on the board and use chalk or a liquid chalk pen to let guests know the types of cheese.
It's important to note that this board isn't a cutting board or butcher block so use soft cheese knives like the stylish brass ones pictured to keep the board in good condition.
You can also use this idea of painting the face of a board with chalkpaint on other materials. For example, if you prefer a more rustic board, you could use a wood slice (available at most craft stores) or if you prefer a more organic shape, you could use a slab of timber such as walnut (just be sure to sand well first).
Have we inspired you to create your own cheese board?